[NatureNS] Possible Sandhill Cranes?

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 00:52:04 +0000

--_f857e081-ae29-46d5-9dfe-0a3d90027d0e_

I had a note from a regular reportee and someone who knows his birds.  This=
 particular gentleman has participated as a feeder watcher for quite some t=
ime now during the Christmas Bird Counts and has had other good birds aroun=
d his house off and on that he lets me know about.  His description is as f=
ollows:
=20
While on my morning walk along Mader's Cove Rd. last Friday I spotted three=
 large birds in close formation  flying from NE to SW at 200' - 300'. Unfor=
tunately I had my small 8 x 35 binoculars and they were probably 1/4 mile a=
way before I got them in focus. Larger than a Blue Heron or Eagle whose pro=
files and flight patterns I can recognize, Sandhill Cranes came to mind.=20
=20
They were coming from the Oakland shore flying over Westhaver's beach enrou=
te to Riverport, Rosebay
=20
He asks if sandhill cranes would be possible.  So keep your eyes open, as t=
here might be some in the area.
=20
Sincerely,
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

--_f857e081-ae29-46d5-9dfe-0a3d90027d0e_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I had a note from a regular reportee and someone who knows his birds.&nbsp;=
 This particular gentleman has participated as a feeder watcher for quite s=
ome time now during the Christmas Bird Counts and has had other good birds =
around his house off and on that he lets me know about.&nbsp; His descripti=
on is as follows:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>While on my morning walk along Mader's Cove Rd. last Fr=
iday I spotted three large birds in <U>close</U> formation&nbsp; flying fro=
m NE to SW at 200' - 300'. Unfortunately I had my small 8 x 35 binoculars a=
nd they were probably 1/4 mile away before I got them in focus. Larger than=
 a Blue Heron or Eagle whose profiles and flight patterns I can recognize, =
Sandhill Cranes came to mind. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>They were coming from the Oakland shore flying over Wes=
thaver's beach enroute to Riverport, Rosebay</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>He asks if sandhill cranes would be possible.&nbsp; So keep your eyes =
open, as there might be some in the area.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sincerely,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>James R. Hirtle</DIV>
<DIV>Dublin Shore</DIV><br /><hr /> </body=

--_f857e081-ae29-46d5-9dfe-0a3d90027d0e_--