[NatureNS] Wood turtles and earthworms

From: "Ulli Hoeger" <uhoeger@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:41:27 -0400

Hi,

I just want to add that I have seen this tapping behaviour done by a
number of shorebirds species (here and oversea). Lapwings, a variety
of plover species (semi-palmated, common, kentish, golden).
Noticeably all have relatively short bills and feed more from the
surface than do deep probing in the mud.
A few years ago a Herring Gull did the little dance on sand beach on
Hearn Island, in the zone where water and sand form a semi fluid
phase.  I went to check what it was flushing out, and it turned out
to be sand eels.
The strategy seems to work for several species, espcl. as :Lance
pointed out in a muddy environment.

Ulli