[NatureNS] RE: sunflower seed question

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:16:27 -0400

Well,

still remember last years pet food scandal?

It reminded me again that you need a special degree of some sort to have a
dim chance to deciper product labels when it comes to the true origin of the
product. this is especially true if it contains multiple ingredients -not so much
the case with sunflower seeds.

Made in Canada, Produced in Canada, Product of Canada is no indication
that the stuff used in it originated in Canada.  In higher refined food, i.e.
multiple ingredients, manufacturers often have a hard time to track down
where some of the material they use originates from.

It was also an eyeopener how concerned authorities are when it comes to
non human food safety.

And as far as "safe" herbicides and other pesticides are concerned, I
wouldn't be surprised if future viewpoints on them will be different from how
todays (not getting in the "safety of genetically modiefied food).

Ulli