[NatureNS] Questions

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 01:14:29 +0000

--_c665f2f4-08ba-43a2-8a88-69828b8e3b4c_

Hi all:
=20
I recieved this recently and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on t=
his issue.  If indeed there is any truth to the following, I myself would f=
ind it somewhat disturbing.  I would like to send an answer to the individu=
al, but I have no first hand knowledge in regards to the topic.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
=20
I am writing about sunflower seeds which I feed birds at my property on Hid=
den Lake in the Labelle/Chelsea area. In October my wife and I took a trip =
across Canada by train. On the outskirts of Winnipeg we saw large fields pa=
cked with sunflower plants that were brown and withered looking. I felt thi=
s to be somewhat odd considering that the weather was still quite summer li=
ke and that I had seen sunflower plants in Maniban gardens that still seeme=
d robustly upright and appealing to the sun. Whe I arrived at my older son'=
s place in Kelowna BC I happened to ask him whether he knew about the sunfl=
ower crops around Winnipeg. He had spent some time in Winnipeg and his girl=
friend comes from a town out side of that city. My son said that he was tol=
d that the sunflower plants are sprayed with Round Up to facilitate the har=
vesting of the plants and the gathering of their seeds. In January of this =
year I purchased an 18 kg bag of sunflower seeds at Costco in Halifax. On t=
he bag was printed the name of the company, Keystone Grain Limited (they ha=
ve a website) that distribute the seed and I noticed it was in Winnipeg. I =
looked on the bag for more infornmation and was surprised to see no mention=
 that the seed wasn't for human consumption. So I wrote them an e-mail to f=
ind out if the seed was fit for humans. I have had no reply. I was wonderin=
g whether you, because of your area of expertise, would have any knowledge =
if in fact this is a method used to harvest the seed and whether use of suc=
h seed - possibly corrupted or contaminated with a herbicide - would be det=
rimental to birds. I read and hear of the decimation and reduction in the c=
ounts of some types of birds. Could this be a factor to consider or at leas=
t make notice of?=20
=20
=20

--_c665f2f4-08ba-43a2-8a88-69828b8e3b4c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I recieved this recently and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on t=
his issue.&nbsp; If indeed there is any truth to the following, I myself wo=
uld find it somewhat disturbing.&nbsp; I would like to send an answer to th=
e individual, but I have no first hand knowledge in regards to the topic.<B=

&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I am writing about sunflower seeds which I feed birds at my property on <BR=
>Hidden Lake in the Labelle/Chelsea area.<BR> <BR>In October my wife and I =
took a trip across Canada by train. On the <BR>outskirts of Winnipeg we saw=
 large fields packed with sunflower plants that <BR>were brown and withered=
 looking. I felt this to be somewhat odd considering <BR>that the weather w=
as still quite summer like and that I had seen sunflower <BR>plants in Mani=
ban gardens that still seemed robustly upright and appealing <BR>to the sun=
.<BR> <BR>Whe I arrived at my older son's place in Kelowna BC I happened to=
 ask him <BR>whether he knew about the sunflower crops around Winnipeg. He =
had spent <BR>some time in Winnipeg and his girlfriend comes from a town ou=
t side of that <BR>city. My son said that he was told that the sunflower pl=
ants are sprayed <BR>with Round Up to facilitate the harvesting of the plan=
ts and the gathering <BR>of their seeds.<BR> <BR>In January of this year I =
purchased an 18 kg bag of sunflower seeds at <BR>Costco in Halifax. On the =
bag was printed the name of the company, Keystone <BR>Grain Limited (they h=
ave a website) that distribute the seed and I noticed <BR>it was in Winnipe=
g. I looked on the bag for more infornmation and was <BR>surprised to see n=
o mention that the seed wasn't for human consumption. So <BR>I wrote them a=
n e-mail to find out if the seed was fit for humans. I have <BR>had no repl=
y.<BR> <BR>I was wondering whether you, because of your area of expertise, =
would have <BR>any knowledge if in fact this is a method used to harvest th=
e seed and <BR>whether use of such seed - possibly corrupted or contaminate=
d with a <BR>herbicide - would be detrimental to birds.<BR> <BR>I read and =
hear of the decimation and reduction in the counts of some types <BR>of bir=
ds. Could this be a factor to consider or at least make notice of?<BR>&nbsp=
;<BR><BR>
&nbsp;<BR>

--_c665f2f4-08ba-43a2-8a88-69828b8e3b4c_--