[NatureNS] Depths of Winter List of Birds - First Week of February 2008

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 23:02:33 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_39349_18334446.1202526153375

Hi,

I couldn't see N.Mockingbird in your list - ours was present today.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_39349_18334446.1202526153375

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Peter&#39;s
post about the depths of winter reminded me that a few people had asked
me if I would compile a &quot;Depths of Winter&quot; bird list again this
year.&nbsp; This list complements Blake Maybank&#39;s Nova Scotia Winter Bird
Sightings at
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/nswinter.htm</a>. While some of
the birds on that list were lingering migrants and vagrants who didn&#39;t
stay around once winter set in, the Depths of Winter List records those
tough birds which are still here in February.&nbsp; The following list
includes all birds mentioned in NatureNS, the NS-RBA, or which I have
seen myself or heard about from others since the first of February. Many
common species haven&#39;t been mentioned lately, so no doubt there are lots
of gaps here.&nbsp; We also haven&#39;t had any recent status reports on some
of the rarities; is the Varied Thrush still being seen? How about those
warblers which Liz asked about?<br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Please
send me additions, and I will update the list once a week.&nbsp; Last
year 151 species were reported.&nbsp; There are six species already this
year which were not reported in February 2007, including Red-bellied
Woodpecker, Townsend&#39;s Solitaire, Fox Sparrow, Eastern Meadowlark, Common
Redpoll, and Hoary Redpoll. <br><br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Cheers,<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Halifax<br>
Nova Scotia Depths of Winter List 2008 (i.e. the month of
February)<br><br>
1 ... Canada
Goose&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>
2 ... Brant<br>
3 ... Green-winged Teal&l