[NatureNS] Depths of Winter List of Birds - First Week of February

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:38:05 -0400
From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

An adult Northern Goshawk has been terrorizing our feeder birds since late fall. It's still in the vicinity, tho' hard to see
unless you're a Mourning Dove or Junco.

Date sent:	Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:52:00 -0400
To:	NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From:	"P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
Subject:	[NatureNS] Depths of Winter List of Birds - First Week of February 2008
Send reply to:	naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

> Hi there,
>
>          Peter's post about the depths of winter reminded me that a
> few people had asked me if I would compile a "Depths of Winter" bird
> list again this year.  This list complements Blake Maybank's Nova
> Scotia Winter Bird Sightings at
> http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/nswinter.htm. While some of
> the birds on that list were lingering migrants and vagrants who
> didn't stay around once winter set in, the Depths of Winter List
> records those tough birds which are still here in February.  The
> following list includes all birds mentioned in NatureNS, the NS-RBA,
> or which I have seen myself or heard about from others since the
> first of February. Many common species haven't been mentioned lately,
> so no doubt there are lots of gaps here.  We also haven't had any
> recent status reports on some of the rarities; is the Varied Thrush
> still being seen? How about those warblers which Liz asked about?
>
>          Please send me additions, and I will update the list once a
> week.  Last year 151 species were reported.  There are six species
> already this year which were not reported in February 2007, including
> Red-bellied Woodpecker, Townsend's Solitaire, Fox Sparrow, Eastern
> Meadowlark, Common Redpoll, and Hoary Redpoll.
>
>          Cheers,
>
>          Patricia L. Chalmers
>          Halifax
>
> Nova Scotia Depths of Winter List 2008 (i.e. the month of February)
>
> 1 ... Canada Goose
> 2 ... Brant
> 3 ... Green-winged Teal
> 4 ... Black Duck
> 5 ... Mallard
> 6 ... American Wigeon
> 7 ... Eurasian Wigeon
> 8 ... Common Eider
> 9 ... Harlequin Duck
> 10... Surf Scoter
> 11... White-winged Scoter
> 12... Long-tailed Duck
> 12... Hooded Merganser
> 14... Common Merganser
> 15... Red-breasted Merganser
> 16... Ring-necked Pheasant
> 17... Red-throated Loon
> 18... Common Loon
> 19... Horned Grebe
> 20... Great Blue Heron
> 21... Bald Eagle
> 22... Sharp-shinned Hawk
> 23... Red-tailed Hawk
> 24... American Coot
> 25... Purple Sandpiper
> 26... Bonaparte's Gull
> 27... Herring Gull
> 28... Lesser Black-backed Gull
> 29... Dovekie
> 30... Thick-billed Murre
> 31... Rock Pigeon
> 32... Mourning Dove
> 33... Short-eared Owl
> 34 ...Red-bellied Woodpecker
> 35... Downy Woodpecker
> 36... Hairy Woodpecker
> 37... Northern Flicker
> 38... Blue Jay
> 39... American Crow
> 40... Common Raven
> 41... Black-capped Chickadee
> [...]

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Eric L. Mills
286 Kingsburg Road
RR#1, Rose Bay, Nova Scotia B0J 2X0, CANADA
E.Mills@Dal.Ca
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ