[NatureNS] Eagle Watch Yesterday

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:49:28 +0000

--_45213e72-0687-4968-a805-6324aa4dffff_

As Suzanne mentioned David Walmark, Dorothy Poole, Pat Gladman and I made a=
 venture up for eagle watch yesterday.  We found that the eagles were not a=
t the allocated sites where feeding was supposed to occur.  Although lots o=
f chickens were about the eagles were not coming into those locations.  We =
found the majority of our eagles at locations not on the map.  It was amazi=
ng that thirty to forty people were stopped for one eagle only and were bus=
y photographing just a single eagle at more than one location listed on the=
 map.  We did find 66 eagles in total, 26 red-tailed hawks, and a brown cre=
eper.  This was the fewest species I have seen on an outing there during ea=
gle weekend in all of the years that I attended.  We only could come up wit=
h 32 species for the day.  A few cedar waxwings were nice for the day.  We =
did not see the towhee at Grand Pre, nor the Carolina Wren in Kentville. =20
=20
Jim Wolfords house was probably the best of all.  Thank you Jim for the cla=
y-colored sparrow.  While there we also saw two female northern cardinals, =
and the white-crowned sparrow.  Sixteen white-throated sparrows were also a=
 treat there with the many other bird species that were present.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

--_45213e72-0687-4968-a805-6324aa4dffff_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
As Suzanne mentioned David Walmark, Dorothy Poole, Pat Gladman and I made a=
 venture up for eagle watch yesterday.&nbsp; We found that the eagles were =
not at the allocated sites where feeding was supposed to occur.&nbsp; Altho=
ugh lots of chickens were about the eagles were not coming into those locat=
ions.&nbsp; We found the majority of our eagles at locations not on the map=
.&nbsp; It was amazing that thirty to forty people were stopped for one eag=
le only and were busy photographing just a single eagle at more than one lo=
cation listed on the map.&nbsp; We did find 66 eagles in total, 26 red-tail=
ed hawks, and a brown creeper.&nbsp; This was the fewest species I have see=
n on an outing there during eagle weekend in all of the years that I attend=
ed.&nbsp; We only could come up with 32 species for the day.&nbsp;&nbsp;A f=
ew cedar waxwings were nice for the day.&nbsp; We did not see the towhee at=
 Grand Pre, nor the Carolina Wren in Kentville.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Jim Wolfords house was probably the best of all.&nbsp; Thank you Jim for th=
e clay-colored sparrow.&nbsp; While there we also saw two female northern c=
ardinals, and the white-crowned sparrow.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sixteen white-throated =
sparrows were also a treat there with the many other bird species that were=
 present.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_45213e72-0687-4968-a805-6324aa4dffff_--