[NatureNS] Bedford Basin Swans

Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 13:09:07 -0400
From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Peter,

Others know more about Mute Swans in Bedford Basin than I do, so I'll let them weigh in on that.

Mute Swans seem to have been introduced to North America (from Europe) several times, as least as early as the 1870s
and also in the early 20th century. They have been quite successful in some areas and breed along the US east coast
from S Maine to at least Maryland, also around part of Lake Ontario and the western Great Lakes and into the US
midwest. They also breed in S British Columbia (esp. around Victoria) and I believe too in Washington state. Currently
they are on the official state list of at least 29 states (indicating breeding populations or at least the occasional presence
of "wild", i.e. feral, birds).

Here in Canada they are on the provincial lists of BC, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (for
us, only 3 records of countable birds, including the one on Brier and Long Islands in January 2001 and 2 in Yarmouth
Co. in the fall of 2005 - the third eludes me at the moment).

All the best,

Eric