[NatureNS] Owl pellets for schools?

From: "Ulli Hoeger" <uhoeger@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:12:52 -0400

Hi,

I just did a quick check and the autoclave here in our department is
set to 250 F, close to 120 C, and non-liquids are run through a 20
minute sterilizing cycle with additional "drying time" (pressure goes
down while heat is kept.  That seems to be a general setting in
biomedical applications. Don't know for sure if there are some hard
core spores that may survive this treatment, but the common bio
hazards should be well done after.

If you use a pressure cooker don't have the pellets floating in the
water, wrap them up in alu foil and put them on a rack, otherwise you
may find pellet soup when your done (may make the dissection easier).

Ulli

P.S. Do Barred Owls preduce suitable pellets? Then Bernard would be
somebody to talk to.