[NatureNS] Owl pellets for schools?

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:06:33 -0400
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_4706_25963182.1204290393086

I bring wild pellets with me to the Grade 5 class in Pomquet, Ant. Co. every
year. That class reads *Owls in the Family* and each student does a small
research project on owls before I do my presentation. I have the advantage
of working with folks who know about pathogens and they autoclave my pellets
for me (autoclaving is one reliable method of sterilizing stuff).

I have heard, though I don't know how much of this is/was true, that a lot
of these pellets come from Barn Owls, as far north as BC's temperate SW. It
has been told amongst us fligh-by-night biologists that the people that sell
to the companies that market pellets for school use, convince land owners to
not let biologists have access to the owls/pellets. I will ask around about
the truth to this.

As for Peter's original request...perhaps a wildlife rehabilitation centre
would be the place to start? You'd still need to sterilize them
though...perhaps contact someone at a university, hospital or research
centre...for educational purposes, they may just do this for you.

On 28/02/2008, Ulli Hoeger <uhoeger@dal.ca> wrote:

> I know that you can buy sterilized ones from science supply stores.
> Sterilized is a good point, because due to the nature of things
> pellets may contain pathogenic material, and some of the viruses
> connected to rodents can be quite nasty.
> We dissected pellets in University and it is still done with certain
> precautions.  However, elementary school kids may be a different
> story.
> Other folks here may correct me on this.  Randy?
>
> Ulli

Randy
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of