[NatureNS] Sunflower seeds

From: Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:28:04 -0400

--Apple-Mail-56-77501691

Hi Dave,

On Feb 24, 2008, at 11:43 AM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

>   Have you checked to see what proportion of these seeds are empty
> shells or shells with shrunken/darkened immature seeds ? As noted in
> my first e-mail on this subject some garden sunflower seed that I
> bought last year were nearly all empty shells. I don't think any of
> the 15 or so fatter seeds that I planted came up.
> yt, DW

Germination, here, is certainly no issue. The finches at my feeder,
onanists that they are, prolifically spill their seeds from the
feeders all over the yard. Last year a massive profusion of sunflowers
came up, some of which I transplanted to various parts of the garden
(and which produced a number of very decent-sized sunflowers, fed, in
turn, to bands of roving chickadees and goldfinches that much esteemed
them), but most of which I simply plowed back into the garden. If
pesticides were ever used in the production of these sunflowers, they
certainly didn't effect their vitality.

Cheers!

Chris

Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada Coleoptera
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca

--Apple-Mail-56-77501691

Feb 24, 2008, at 11:43 AM, David &amp; Alison Webster wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">&nbsp;&nbsp;Have you checked to see what proportion of =
these seeds are empty shells or shells with shrunken/darkened immature =
seeds ? As noted in my first e-mail on this subject some garden =
sunflower seed that I bought last year were nearly all empty shells. I =
don't think any of the 15 or so fatter seeds that I planted came =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>Germination, here, is =
certainly no issue. The finches at my feeder, onanists that they are, =
prolifically spill their seeds from the feeders all over the yard. Last =
year a massive profusion of sunflowers came up, some of which I =
transplanted to various parts of the garden (and which produced a number =
of very decent-sized sunflowers, fed, in turn, to bands of roving =
chickadees and goldfinches that much esteemed them), but most of which I =
simply plowed back into the garden. If pesticides were ever used in the =
production of these sunflowers, they certainly didn't effect their =
vitality.</div><div><br =
apple-content-edited=3D"true"> <span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
'Times New Roman'; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; "><div>Christopher Majka - Atlantic Canada =
Coleoptera</div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html=
">http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html</a></=
div><div><a =