[NatureNS] Sunflower seeds

Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:15:52 -0400
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I've just finished reading Silence of the Songbirds, by Bridget
Stutchbury (Walker Pub. Co, N.Y. '07), which includes mention of the
Swainson's Hawk disaster in Argentina.  It was the pesticide
monocrotophos, which farmers were using as an aerial spray from
airplanes to kill locusts in their sunflower fields, which caused the
hawks to drop from the skies by the thousands.  This was documented by
ornithologists in 1994 and '95, I believe.  The book you refer to, Andy,
is Saul Weidensaul, Living on the Wind: Across the hemisphere with
migratory birds (North Point Press, N. Y., 1999).  This pesticide has
since been banned by the Argentine government, but, according to
Stutchbury, is still in wide use in other S. American countries.  She
suggests it's effects are probably equally disastrous on other birds
such as Dickcissels.  Bear in mind that the sunflower fields had just
been sprayed the day before the dead hawks were found, and the birds had
eaten the dying locusts.  This really doesn't say anything about the
long-term effects of the pesticide on the sunflower seed which we feed
our wild birds.  (Don't get me wrong - I don't like pesticides!)

Lois Codling