[NatureNS] Birds at Beech St., Halifax

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:37:31 -0400
From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

font-family:Arial'&gt;Present i

--Boundary_(ID_eeavFDPXgLTZgC+rfv919Q)

Hi, John.

Lovely to hear from you.  I'm doing OK, except for a cold that I can't get rid of.  How about you?

My dad is OK - he just headed down to Arizona a few days ago for his annual golf holiday.  He'd had bronchitis for quite a while before he left and still isn't rid of it, so that's rather worrying.  But his doctor told him to go, hoping that the dry climate would help, and he really wanted to go for the golf, so I hope it works out for him.  I talked to him tonight and he's been getting in some golf, which is what he loves.

The Red Crossbill sounds like a great specimen to have.  Blake Maybank isn't interested in collecting specimens, but Randy Lauff is at St. FX.  Also, Luke DiCicco has recently posted a note on NatureNS asking for specimens for the biology department at Acadia - his e-mail address is  akswallow@hotmail.com  I'd suggest you e-mail and ask if he'd like it.  Dave McCorquodale goes down to Acadia fairly often - both for work and to pick up Megan from time to time - so I'm sure he'd take it down for you if they want it.

I haven't seen the Gull book myself, but I've seen some very favourable reviews of it.  I don't have all that much interest in gulls, so decided not to add it to my shelves at this point.

I input the last Atlas records for the Big Pond square tonight - I had found an e-mail from you with some sightings by Melvin that I didn't put in before.  Just got it done before the January 31 deadline!  The website says it wants Rare/Colonial Record cards for the Saw-whet Owl, Common Nighthawk, Olive-sided Flycatcher and Bank Swallow.  You might want to talk to Dave Harris about how to go about that - I bet he'd give you a hand with them if you asked.  I've saved all the e-mails, so I could pass them back to you for talking to Dave, the next time I'm down to Cape Breton.  I don't know just when that will be - I'm busy getting the new house ready to move into, so February is going to be a busy month.

Take care, John, and all the best to you and Darlene and the family.

Susann