RE: [NatureNS] Horned Grebes

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:15:33 -0400
From: kenmcken@eastlink.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_WNpL7pWPsKObE6g4iNWbLg)

>  Hi all
>
>  I would like to ask you all if you have ever seen Horned Grebes this
> month??   If so, where are they found??  Does it mean there is a
> seriousdecline in numbers??   Or what?  I used to see a few in
> Port Mouton (where
> the wharf is) and in Hunt's Point in the past.   Many thanks.

Hi Liz
We had 2 on Sober I. ( Mozier Cove)- I think Jan. 7 was the date. We did not see any there Jan. 27.  I suspect they have just moved a little further south. There were quite a few in Melmerby area in early Dec. , but these birds tend to move out of this part of the Northumberland Strait in the depth of winter. Interestingly, we did not see the full flock of Purple Sandpipers Jan. 27 at Sober I., but the unusually white- black one was amoung the 15 present. No Harleqiuns were seen.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_WNpL7pWPsKObE6g4iNWbLg)

<BODY contentEditable=true onload=parent.init()><P></P>
<P>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp; Hi all <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;&nbsp; I would like to ask you all if you have ever seen Horned Grebes this <BR>&gt; month??&nbsp;&nbsp; If so, where are they found??&nbsp; Does it mean there is a&nbsp; <BR>&gt; seriousdecline in numbers??&nbsp;&nbsp; Or what?&nbsp; I used to see a few in <BR>&gt; Port Mouton (where <BR>&gt; the wharf is) and in Hunt's Point in the past.&nbsp;&nbsp; Many thanks. <BR></P>
<P>Hi Liz </P>
<P>We had 2 on Sober I. ( Mozier Cove)- I think Jan. 7 was the date. We did not see any there Jan. 27.&nbsp;&nbsp;I suspect they have just moved a little further south. There were quite a few in Melmerby area in early Dec. , but these birds tend to move out of this part of the Northumberland Strait in the depth of winter. Interestingly, we did not see the full flock of Purple Sandpipers Jan. 27 at Sober I., but the unusually white- black one was amoung the 15 present. No Harleqiuns were seen. </P>
<P>cheers</P>
<P>Ken</P></BODY>

--Boundary_(ID_WNpL7pWPsKObE6g4iNWbLg)--