[NatureNS] Brier Island Redpolls

From: "Carl Haycock" <foggy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:02:04 -0400

At noon I took a walk around the village and checked out the feeders. I
estimated at least 600 redpolls in total and that is probably a conservative
estimate. Pine siskins and goldfinch are mixed in. They are also in the
alders and fields eating seeds. At home I have more time to study them and
take notice of the variations. I have only seen one bird which I think is a
Hoary. They are certainly a frenetic and busy bunch of birds. Quite tame and
inquisitive it seems. It has been a decade since I have seen so many
redpolls. On a day off from lobsterfishing and with it so cold it makes a
day of rest, interesting.

Carl Haycock
Westport