[NatureNS] very sad, that mourning dove

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:49:06 -0400
From: "Margaret E.Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi again, Helene, I'll check this site out for sure. Looks aren't paramount
as long as I can see out somewhere.
 We have tried a number of things and even stopped feeding birds for a time
when the window strikes got bad.......I hoped that highlighter grid would
work and did for a time. Maybe I should wash and reapply it. I have had
ribbons and balloons and anything else including silhouettes and cut outs in
it. Not feeding didn't change the strikes, by the way.
The bird is still alive amazingly and travelling with four others. Two seem
to be almost protective of it. they are moving either side of it and when
the others come in to peck they chase them away. I don't think I am
"humanizing them" I think that is what is happening. I tried to get closer
for a look but they flew off although it does not fly as well as it did for
sure.
an aside I have woodpeckers all about my yard....I counted 9 so far, Downys,
Hairys and something bigger that is quite vocal, black and white and won't
stay still so I can see it......I have three seed cakes out and have a
couple more in reserve for the cold snap.
http://margmillard.ca