[NatureNS] Pheasant Tails

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 20:14:41 -0400

I too have Pheasants coming to my feeders in Hantsport - in fact they are
regulars ever since I moved in last summer. Unlike your experience, while we
occasionally see more than one male we have up to 10 females who will pay us
a visit at any given time. Usually it 5 or so of them. The females are
certainly much more shy than the arrogant males. They are also extremely
well camouflaged when walking slowly through the bushes. You can be looking
out and see nothing and then suddenly 4 or 5 are walking straight towards
you as if they just materialized. I would say that your females are simply
hidden.
John Belbin - Hantsport