[NatureNS] PINE SISKIN 'YELLOW ADULT' KINGSTON 16Jan08

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:16:38 -0400
From: iamclar@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Patrick Giffin <barpat@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: NATURENS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Patrick et al.:

These "yellow" Pine Siskins, as referred to in Sibley, are deemed
yellow because
of their flashy yellow wing stripes and yellow cast on the pale plumage of
upper breast and rump, but at least some are also known as "green morph"
because their darker body plumage has a greenish cast. In 1989 some colleagues
and I wrote an article in "Birding" magazine on this green morph. One of these
had excited us here in Halifax by being first taken as a vagrant female
Eurasian Siskin, which species has occurred in AK, probably NL and QC, and
possibly elsewhere, but not here, yet.

Anyway, to make a long story short, whereas some males simply have more
saturated and extensive yellow in normally yellow parts, green morphs have an
excess of yellow pigments throughout the plumage, giving bright yellow rumps,
yellow around the face, and a greenish cast to darker body feathering.  Some
think it is a "cock plumage" i.e. a "throwback" to an original, brighter male
plumage found in some siskin species elsewhere. They do indeed occur rarely
throughout N. America, and I don't know what basis Dave Sibley has for stating
that they are more frequent in the Southwest.  I have seen perhaps a
half-dozen
here.

Thanks for tellng us about this siskin. It would be good to have photos.

Cheers, Ian McLaren