[NatureNS] Bird ID

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 09:29:58 -0400
From: Pat McKay <ah205@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This message is in MIME format.

--=_367yqtglu20w

Hello All,

I could do with some help with the following bird ID question from a friend who
is a beginning birder.

Cheers,
Pat

On 07/01/2008, cgrandy@staff.ednet.ns.ca <cgrandy@staff.ednet.ns.ca > wrote:

> Hi Pat,
>
> Greg and I need your help. When we were walking in Manor Park this
> morning we saw a bird we can't identify. We didn't get a clear look at
> its body as it was in an evergreen tree flying around. It caught my
> eye when it flew into the tree. It was about the size of a robin and
> had a rusty red breast like a robin. But it had a bright white strip
> under its beak going down its neck. It also had white narrow stripes
> (maybe 2 on each side) on the sides of its head. I wish I'd had my
> camera! Any ideas?
>
> I had a Norhtern Flicker at one of our suet cages this morning. I was
> hoping he would go to your suet log but no luck.
>
> Take care,
> Cathy

Hello Cathy,

Hmmm, you've got me stumped I'm afraid. There aren't too many birds the size
of a Robin which have a rusty red breast, and I can't think of any that have
the white facial markings you describe. Here are 3 vague possibilities that
fit some of your criteria.

1. Bohemian Waxwing: This is a very pretty bird, but mainly a soft greyish
brown. It does however have rusty red underneath its tail and chestnut bits
on its face. It does have a white stripe from under the bill going downwards
towards the neck. There is a hint of a thin white line underneath the eye.
They usually travel in flocks however, so it would be slightly unusual to
see only one. Their call note is unusual and quite distinctive - reminds me
a bit of the noise made when a car's alternator belt is slipping.

2. Rose breasted Grosbeak - First winter male. (Your Peterson may not show
this plumage (mine doesn't), I am looking at Sibley). This bird has a rusty
red breast a bit like that of an adult Black-headed Grosbeak, and it has two
bright white stripes on the side of its head, but not the white under the
bill going down towards the neck.

3. Pine Grosbeak - adult male. This has the right colour, but not much white
about the face, although as you have already seen in your photos earlier
this winter, they can show more white than the text books credit them with!

Of the 3, I am inclining towards the Waxwing. They have been present in
numbers in the city this winter, and your description of the white lines
seems to fit somewhat. My second choice would be the Pine Grosbeak, but only
because I know that they have been around in numbers as well this winter.
The Rose breasted Grosbeak has not been reported anything like as often as
the other two species.

I will forward this to another of my other birding friends to see if they
have anything else to add.

Cheers,
Pat

----- End forwarded message -----

--=_367yqtglu20w

cgrandy@staff.ednet.ns.ca</a></b> &lt;<a href="mailto:cgrandy@staff.ednet.ns.ca" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">cgrandy@staff.ednet.ns.ca
</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Hi Pat,<br><br>Greg and I need your help. When we were walking in Manor Park this

--=_367yqtglu20w--