[NatureNS] re hibernators vs. other mammals, was raccoon question

Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 12:10:20 -0400
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I think, either very shallow hibernators or just exhibit torpor during
For reading on some of our more bitterly cold days, fascinating material
about hibernation can be found in Bernd Heinrich's book from 2003, Winter
World: The Ingenuity of Animal Surival. It includes chapters with titles
such as "Hibernating Squirrels," "Hibernating Birds," "Torbid Turtles Under
Ice," and "Bears in Winter." Some of you may already know Heinrich as one of
the finest living nature writers, author of books such as Ravens in Winter,
Bumblebee Economics, Mind of the Raven, & A Year in the Maine Woods.
Brian