[NatureNS] racoon question

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 19:37:17 -0400

I do not know what the books say about racoons and hibernation, but I expect
it is the same with them as with bears, groundhogs, and other creatures that
stay away from snow and cold weather. I have never known of a racoon
travelling around in the winter. I am told that bears sometimes come out
during a mild spot in the weather, and everyone knows that Feb 2 is ground
hog's day. So far as I am concerned all of these animals hibernate in the
sense that they find a den and sleep and lose a lot of fat during the winter
months. Perhaps that would be a good thing for many of us to do.

Roland