[NatureNS] belted kingfisher story

From: Kent Mullin <kmullin@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 00:58:40 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Roland & all,

Don't know whether this counts, as I'm not sure if this behaviour
typical or anomalous, but I have a summer place on a tributary (about
thirty feet wide) of the West River in Pictou Cty. where a female
belted K.F. used to regularly feed and hang out - with the exception
of nesting time when she used an established tunnel in the bank of a
dried rivulet about six hundred yards from the water. During this
time, for several weeks, she would perch on a power line, always
within a couple of hundred feet of her nest, from where she would
prey on the local insect population (I assume feeding herself and her
chick/s, as she would be absent from the river). After several weeks
she would return to her normal feeding habit at the river - always
alone, never with a youngster in tow. I haven't seen her for a couple
of years now, since the spring when they clear cut the area where her
nest was.

K.