[NatureNS] belted kingfisher story

Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 21:46:27 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Murray & All,            Jan 2, 2008
    I agree one must be wary of accepting any measure of a wild
population as a fact and +- figures convey no information if the
variance measure (e.g. standard deviation, standard error, 95%
confidence limits) is not specified.

    But-- the two estimates, obtained apparently by somewhat different
methods, of 16,000 KF (-4.67 % trend over 40 years) as compared to 4,100
pairs (no change over 4 centuries) are remarkably similar. Note also
that no change over 400 years does not conflict with a modest decline
over 40 years. This of course does not demonstrate that either of these
estimates is close to being realistic.

    But with respect to your 50 pairs in three counties, have you really
bushwacked every potential lake edge, pond, run and stillwater in these
three counties ? If not then could there be 100, or 1000 or 3000 pairs
that you have not encountered ?

A belated Happy New Year, Dave Webster, Kentville