[NatureNS] exciting bird here

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:42:57 -0400

Hello everyone. Years ago, about three, I had Baltimore
oriels at my grape vines and feeders. The last couple of
years have been just plain old sparrows, the odd Blue Jay
and BCap. Chickadee.
Today I can once again add an BO. Just about dusk,  I
looked out and saw a bird at my suet feeder. Got a good
look but when I reached for the binoculars it flew off. I
waited and it did come back so with binoculars on it,
Sibleys on the table and the bird staying put, I was able to
ID it as a first year male. Lovely rusty orange body colour.
The one thing that I hadn't realized was the length of the
beak. It is very long and sharp.
Maybe now I will once again get some interesting birds. I
get envious with everyone feeder finds when all I seem to
get are House Sparrows and the odd Blue Jay and
chickadee and oh yes the resident Song sparrow.
Heather on Pepperell Street in Halifax.