[NatureNS] more on: do red-taied hawks hover?

Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:38:53 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_R4OhZPS6T2MsnmX4ZoJX4A)

Angela and Richard et al., I can add a couple things to Richard's answer
below.  First, hovering and kiting and various combinations for red-tailed
and rough-legged hawks are quite frequently emploved in eastern King's
County, particularly in dykeland areas.  The buteos have learned how to use
a moderate to stiff wind efficiently in their hunting techniques.  And
Richard mentioned the Eurasian kestrel but not the American kestrel, which
also employs hovering over open fields and roadside ditches in hunting for
large insects, small mammals, etc.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville