[NatureNS] Preliminary Results From White Point Beach Christmas Bird Count

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 04:35:06 +0000

--_ea84dfc5-b735-4bc9-919f-6aaa97306961_

Hi all:
=20
As of now we are looking at 68 species with the possibility of one or two o=
thers.  It was a good day with some nice birds located.  We found a juvenil=
e northern goshawk by the call centre in Liverpool.  By we I mean Dorothy P=
oole, Ann Hughes and myself, comprising the one party, with all three obser=
ving the bird.  There was one purple sandpiper by White Point Beach and one=
 Dovekie there.  Three other Dovekies were seen off Western Head.  Pine Gro=
sbeaks were seen in groupings of two and four at two separate locations.  I=
 spotted a ruby-crowned kinglet in Milton and this bird also was seen by al=
l in my party.  At the same location as the ruby-crowned kinglet there were=
 two chipping sparrows.  Donna Ensor, Sylvia Fullerton, Clyde Stoddart and =
another lady found a short-earred owl on the way into the White Point Groun=
ds.  Gary Hartlen had a broad-winged hawk by Port Mouton.  Two northern shr=
ikes were found.  One on the grounds of White Point Lodge by my party and a=
nother by Sylvia's party at a different location.   As an aside I was sent =
a photo of an adult northern shrike that apparently missed its target hitti=
ng a window and was stunned.  The shrike was picked up by a dog and taken t=
o the owner.  The bird was actually unharmed and recovered and later flew o=
ff.  This bird was at First Peninsula and was an adult.  The bird we found =
at White Point, was also an adult bird.   Donna Ensor found a rose-breasted=
 grosbeak.  These are the birds I remember of interest without looking back=
 at my notes.  =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Discover new ways to stay in touch with Windows Live! Visit the City @ Live=
 today!
http://getyourliveid.ca/?icid=3DLIVEIDENCA006=

--_ea84dfc5-b735-4bc9-919f-6aaa97306961_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
As of now we are looking at 68 species with the possibility of one or two o=
thers.&nbsp; It was a good day with some nice birds located.&nbsp; We found=
 a juvenile northern goshawk by the call centre in Liverpool.&nbsp; By we I=
 mean Dorothy Poole, Ann Hughes and myself, comprising the one party, with =
all three observing the bird.&nbsp; There was one purple sandpiper by White=
 Point Beach and one Dovekie there.&nbsp; Three other Dovekies were seen of=
f Western Head.&nbsp; Pine Grosbeaks were seen in groupings of two and four=
 at two separate locations.&nbsp; I spotted a ruby-crowned kinglet in Milto=
n and this bird also was seen by all in my party.&nbsp; At the same locatio=
n as the ruby-crowned kinglet there were two chipping sparrows.&nbsp; Donna=
 Ensor, Sylvia Fullerton, Clyde Stoddart and another lady found a short-ear=
red owl on the way into the White Point Grounds.&nbsp; Gary Hartlen had a b=
road-winged hawk by Port Mouton.&nbsp; Two northern shrikes were found.&nbs=
p; One on the grounds of White Point Lodge by my party and another by Sylvi=
a's party at a different location.&nbsp;&nbsp; As an aside I was sent a pho=
to of an adult northern shrike that apparently missed its target hitting a =
window and was stunned.&nbsp; The shrike was picked up by a dog and taken t=
o the owner.&nbsp; The bird was actually unharmed and recovered and later f=
lew off.&nbsp; This bird was at First Peninsula and was an adult.&nbsp; The=
 bird we found at White Point, was also an adult bird.&nbsp;&nbsp; Donna En=
sor found a rose-breasted grosbeak.&nbsp; These are the birds I remember of=
 interest without looking back at my notes.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Books, DVD's, gadgets, music and more. <a href=
=3D'http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctid=3D8338,ptnrid=3D176,=
ptnrdata=3D1761116&tcode=3DHolidayGuide' target=3D'_new'>Shop online with S=
ympatico / MSN Shopping today!</a></body>

--_ea84dfc5-b735-4bc9-919f-6aaa97306961_--