[NatureNS] re rabid fox at Mulgrave, Herald, Dec. 19, 2007

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 12:23:36 -0400
From: Helene Van Doninck <hvandoninck@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_afnLfGpmHOoWx7UcmyHBHg)

Hi Gayle, Yes there is a vaccination for people , and those in high risk
occupations often get it ( veterinarians, wildlife officials, etc). Its
quite expensive, and I have my titre checked every year to see if I am still
protected. I dont know the entire story on the rabies situation with that
dog, and wouldnt be able to comment on it unless it was released to the
general public. I m thinking maybe it was euthanized so as to not take any
chances, I dont know its vaccination status. Animals who are unvaccinated or
even vaccinated that come in contact with a suspect rabies case are often
either euthanized...or at least put in a strict 6 month quarantine. Rabies
can often show up a few days after exposure, but has also been known to take
up to  6 months to show. Each case....suspect or confirmed rabies
contact...vaccinated or unvaccinated pet...are dealt with on a case by case
with involvement from both public health and CFIA, and decisions are made
based on the individual circumstances.

I worked in Ont for a while where rabies is more of a concern...this was
quite a while ago but when I was there...vaccinated animals who came in
contact with rabid animals were quarantined to be sure...unless the
owner/officials opted for euth. THe vaccine is very effective but quarantine
is still used to be sure, no vaccine is 100 % effective

Helene