[NatureNS] A busy 5 minutes

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Mike McCall <mikemccall@xcountry.tv>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:59:45 -0400

The following bird events occurred within a five minute span as I
looked out my loft window towards the Minas Channel on Dec. 17th

A mature Red-tailed Hawk entered from stage right, about 100 feet off
the ground and remained in the same position
over the ground for the better part of a minute before moving on
towards Hall's Harbour

A mature Bald Eagle passed overhead, also at fairly low altitude

The mature was followed by an immature half a minute later

20+ Goldfinches were fighting for places on a niger feeder

4 Redpolls, the first seen here in four years made so bold as to horn
in on the Goldfinches, with some success

6 of those nomadic brigands, Evening Grosbeaks, the first seen here
in two years arrived en masse, kicked
everyone else off the sunflower feeder, hoovered as much they could
then, in their usual style, just buzzed off

Mike McCall
Hall's Habour