[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island Trip

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:35:49 +0000

--_83e62c5f-6269-4302-b08d-ba25660588e5_

Well folks, I finally made it to Cape Sable Island Today.  A gorgeous day, =
but I must say the roads in Lunenburg County are poorly tended in compariso=
n to Queens and Shelburne County.  The roads were especially dispicable bet=
ween Petitie Riviere and Voglers Cove.  On the way back through there were =
even a few bad spots after a day of sun.  The roads along the shoreline are=
 the roughest also that I traveled today from Dublin Shore out to the 103. =
 With that said, I guess I should be complaining to the Municipality of Lun=
enburg or the Department of Transportation.  Now to the birds.
=20
My first surprise of the day was at Cherry Hill.  Just before the beach tur=
n off, I noticed a black-bird in a tree beside some blue jays.  I pulled ov=
er and had a great look at a rusty blackbird.  It flew off after about five=
 minutes.
=20
I arrived in Milton to pick up Dorothy Poole and there was greated by her c=
ommon redpolls, which we saw at various locations during the day.  We picke=
d up Peter MacLeod on the way and went through to Ohio to try for the Carol=
ina Wren.  Donna greeted us and we were rewarded about 15 minutes later wit=
h great looks at this bird.  Thank you Donna for this wonderful treat.
=20
We could not find the great egret today, but we saw many other great things=
.  At Doctors cove we were rewarded with 50 snow buntings and an additonal =
41 of these birds at Daniels Head.  Also at Doctors Cove was a large moveme=
nt of evening grosbeaks.  There were two flocks.  One of 24 birds and anoth=
er of 120.  Large numbers of other birds were also moving about, with one g=
roup of 39 red-winged blackbirds.  We saw 10 more red-winged blackbirds at =
Johnny Nickersons feeders, which were previously reported by him.   =20
=20
In regards to raptors today:  Two bald eagles at Milton.  A red-tailed hawk=
 on the way to Shelburne along the 103 and another at Sherose Road in Barri=
ngton.  On Cape Sable Island an amazing six northern harriers.  At Kenny Ro=
ad a merlin.
=20
At Kenny Road CSI, at least 12 yellow-rumped warblers and a swamp sparrow.
=20
At Daniels Head the four brant previously reported by Murray.
=20
A question for Murray, Johnny or Clyde.  There were three snow geese up ins=
ide of Sherose Road.  Are these birds tame or could they have been wild?
=20
We had a northern Flicker when driving out to Cape Sable.  Near the Nickers=
ons out at the hawk by the alder thicket on the right hand side of the road=
 before you turn left to the Hawk Road or right up to the church I caught a=
 bird flying across in front of the car.  It was a gray catbird which was n=
icely feeding on berries there.
=20
Shorebirds seen only were dunlin and a black-bellied plover.
=20
On the way back just before the Jordan Falls sign Dorothy and I found a bar=
red owl perched in a tree beside the road.
=20
Upon arriving back in Milton, Dorothy treated me in showing me her male and=
 female northern cardinal.  A nice way to end the day. =20
=20
The day list for me was 38 species.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon!
http://puzzles.sympatico.msn.ca/chicktionary/index.html?icid=3Dhtmlsig=

--_83e62c5f-6269-4302-b08d-ba25660588e5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Well folks, I finally made it to Cape Sable Island Today.&nbsp; A gorgeous =
day, but I must say the roads in Lunenburg County are poorly tended in comp=
arison to Queens and Shelburne County.&nbsp; The roads were especially disp=
icable between Petitie Riviere and Voglers Cove.&nbsp; On the way back thro=
ugh there were even a few bad spots&nbsp;after a day of sun.&nbsp; The road=
s along the shoreline are the roughest also that I traveled today from Dubl=
in Shore out to the 103.&nbsp; With that said, I guess I should be complain=
ing to the Municipality of Lunenburg or the Department of Transportation.&n=
bsp; Now to the birds.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
My first surprise of the day was at Cherry Hill.&nbsp; Just before the beac=
h turn off, I noticed a black-bird in a tree beside some blue jays.&nbsp; I=
 pulled over and had a great look at a rusty blackbird.&nbsp; It flew off a=
fter about five minutes.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I arrived in Milton to pick up Dorothy Poole and there was greated by her c=
ommon redpolls, which we saw at various locations during the day.&nbsp; We =
picked up Peter MacLeod on the way and went through to Ohio to try for the =
Carolina Wren.&nbsp; Donna greeted us and we were rewarded about 15 minutes=
 later with great looks at this bird.&nbsp; Thank you Donna for this wonder=
ful treat.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
We could not find the great egret today, but we saw many other great things=
.&nbsp; At Doctors cove we were rewarded with 50 snow buntings and an addit=
onal 41 of these birds at Daniels Head.&nbsp; Also at Doctors Cove was a la=
rge movement of evening grosbeaks.&nbsp; There were two flocks.&nbsp; One o=
f 24 birds and another of 120.&nbsp; Large numbers of other birds were also=
 moving about, with one group of 39 red-winged blackbirds.&nbsp; We saw 10 =
more red-winged blackbirds at Johnny Nickersons feeders, which were previou=
sly reported by him.&nbsp; &nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
In regards to raptors today:&nbsp; Two bald eagles at Milton.&nbsp; A red-t=
ailed hawk on the way to Shelburne along the 103 and another at Sherose Roa=
d in Barrington.&nbsp; On Cape Sable Island an amazing six northern harrier=
s.&nbsp; At Kenny Road a merlin.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
At Kenny Road CSI, at least 12 yellow-rumped warblers and a swamp sparrow.<=

&nbsp;<BR>
At Daniels Head the four brant previously reported by Murray.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
A question for Murray, Johnny or Clyde.&nbsp; There were three snow geese u=
p inside of Sherose Road.&nbsp; Are these birds tame or could they have bee=
n wild?<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
We had a northern Flicker when driving out to Cape Sable.&nbsp; Near the Ni=
ckersons out at the hawk by the alder thicket on the right hand side of the=
 road before you turn left to the Hawk Road or right up to the church I cau=
ght a bird flying across in front of the car.&nbsp; It was a gray catbird w=
hich was nicely feeding on berries there.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Shorebirds seen only were dunlin and a black-bellied plover.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
On the way back just before the Jordan Falls sign Dorothy and I found a bar=
red owl perched in a tree beside the road.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Upon arriving back in Milton, Dorothy treated me in showing me her male and=
 female northern cardinal.&nbsp; A nice way to end the day.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
The day list for me was 38 species.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Discover a magical Christmas destination. <a hr=
ef=3D'http://asksanta.ca/?icid=3DSANTAENCA005' target=3D'_new'>Visit asksan=
ta.ca today!</a></body>

--_83e62c5f-6269-4302-b08d-ba25660588e5_--