[NatureNS] Aggressive Raccoons and feeders update

Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:14:25 -0400
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzanne.townsend@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_26021_4700547.1197378865421

Just a little PS about raccoons near human dwellings: I recently learned
from our veterinarian that raccoons have become hosts for a roundworm that
can be also carried by dogs and by humans, and that it is especially
dangerous to humans, causing brain damage if not death within two weeks.
Raccoons defecate in the same area, and they like sawdust, sand, or other
kitty-litter-like material. That means wood piles. The vet was all excited
about this because they had just had the lecture/info from a visiting vet
from New Orleans who is an expert in animal parasites. He told the story in
which a granddaughter mouthed a piece of bark from a wood pile and got the
worm. (He said also that raccoon feces looks like a granola bar.) If you
have a dog and/or child, and especially if you also feed or otherwise
attract or harbour raccoons, it is wise to get your dog wormed every month
year round. Just thought I'd pass that along. I also just found this in a
quick search: http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/raccoonroundworm.php

http://www.wildlifedamagecontrol.net/raccoonroundworm.php</div>

------=_Part_26021_4700547.1197378865421--