[NatureNS] FW: (BNS) Monday night BNS meeting on Treed Bogs with Donna Hurlburt

Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:12:58 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Minga O'Brien <forests@ecologyaction.ca>,

--Boundary_(ID_HFT3CQY2C+fG+CFgqAVlMg)

Apologies to those who got this more than once, from Jim in Wolfville.
----------
From: Harold Forsyth <harold.forsyth@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:43:21 -0400
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: (BNS) Monday night meeting

The monthly meeting of the Blomidon Naturalists Society will be held Monday,
December 10, 2007 at 7:30 p.m. in auditorium of the K.C. Irving
Environmental Science Centre.  The topic will be Treed Bogs by Donna
Hurlburt.

In Nova Scotia, not all peatlands are afforded equal protection from
forestry activities through buffer regulations. Our team has been evaluating
the need for amendments to the Nova Scotia Wildlife Habitat and Watercourses
Protection Regulations to include buffers around treed bogs. At present,
treed bogs are excluded from these regulations and timber and/or peat
harvesting are permitted within them.

This is potentially of concern since many species within these systems are
rare and highly specialized which puts them at higher risk of future decline
or extirpation. Further, treed bogs are our most common wetland and have the
highest chances of being encountered during forestry activity. This study
has focused on the impacts of forestry on biodiversity with treed bogs, with
particular attention to invertebrates (dragonflies, horse/deer flies), peat
mosses, woody vegetation, rare & specialized plants, and Species at Risk.
Our team has also examined the impacts of forestry on the physical
characteristics of peatlands, including peat composition, community shifts
in vegetation over time, water chemistry, tree ring growth and wetland
extent and form.  Everyone is welcome.

--Boundary_(ID_HFT3CQY2C+fG+CFgqAVlMg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>FW: (BNS) Monday night BNS meeting on Treed Bogs with Donna Hurlburt</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Apologies to those who got this more than once, from Jim in Wolfville.<BR>
----------<BR>
<B>From: </B>Harold Forsyth &lt;harold.forsyth@ns.sympatico.ca&gt;<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:43:21 -0400<BR>
<B>To: </B>&lt;Undisclosed-Recipient:;&gt;<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>(BNS) Monday night meeting<BR>
<BR>
<FONT FACE="Times New Roman">The monthly meeting of the Blomidon Naturalists Society will be held <B>Monday, December 10, 2007</B></FONT><B> at 7:30 p.m. in auditorium of the K.C. Irving Environmental Science Centre. &nbsp;The topic will be Treed Bogs by Donna Hurlburt. <BR>
<BR>
In Nova Scotia, not all peatlands are afforded equal protection from forestry activities through buffer regulations. Our team has been evaluating the need for amendments to the Nova Scotia Wildlife Habitat and Watercourses Protection Regulations to include buffers around treed bogs. At present, treed bogs are excluded from these regulations and timber and/or peat harvesting are permitted within them.<BR>
<BR>
 This is potentially of concern since many species within these systems are rare and highly specialized which puts them at higher risk of future decline or extirpation. Further, treed bogs are our most common wetland and have the highest chances of being encountered during forestry activity. This study has focused on the impacts of forestry on biodiversity with treed bogs, with particular attention to invertebrates (dragonflies, horse/deer flies), peat mosses, woody vegetation, rare &amp; specialized plants, and Species at Risk. Our team has also </B><FONT FACE="Times New Roman">examined the impacts of forestry on the physical characteristics of peatlands, including peat composition, community shifts in vegetation over time, water chemistry, tree ring growth and wetland extent and form. &nbsp;Everyone is welcome.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_HFT3CQY2C+fG+CFgqAVlMg)--