[NatureNS] CACKLING GOOSE with Canada Geese - Starr's Point today

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 21:37:34 -0400

Sun Nov 2 / 07:

Bernard and Sandra Forsyth found a CACKLING GOOSE with a flock of Canada
Geese in Van Nostrand's Pond, Starr's Point, Kings Co. about mid-morning
today.

Harold Forsyth and I saw the Cackling Goose in Van Nostrand's Pond between
noon and 12.45pm. There are about 120 Canada Geese in the pond which holds a
great deal of ice right now and very little open water. Some of the geese
are resting on the ice.  The bird was observed close to the wooden structure
(?) on the opposite (west) side of pond.

We found the best  vantage point to see all the geese as they are quite
spread out behind the 'island', may be to drive past the pond (on McGee Rd)
and head up to the junction with the Starr's Point Rd, turn rt (east) and
drive a little way until you can see a clearer view of the pond, pull over
onto the right road shoulder and park, and then look back ' into' the pond.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts
     Wolfville