[NatureNS] FW: Hermit Thrush-Kingston

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:43:07 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
CC: Ruth Newell <ruth.newell@acadiau.ca>,

Hi Jim & All,            Nov 29, 2007
    That Yew berries are 'nasty and poisonous to humans' is the germ of
a new myth. The pulp of the fruit of our native Yew (_Taxus canadensis_)
is delicious in season [early in the summer I think] as a nibble. One
should not chew or swallow the single seed because these seeds can
contain a toxin (Taxine) [and you might break a tooth ?].

    My 1895 Warming (Systematic Botany)  says of _Taxus baccata_ that
"The shoots are poisonous but not the aril, which is often eaten by
children.." So, assuming that children would often swallow the seeds, I
wonder if even the toxicity of our Yew seed is conditional on
pretreatment of some kind, e.g. picked from wilted shoots. The Merck
Index 9th ed., refers to Taxine being extracted from _T. baccata_
 needles and fruit with references going back to 1856.

    The wilted foliage of our Yew is reputed to be toxic to livestock
but Yew (eaten fresh) is a favourite winter food of deer.

    It is prudent to be cautious when testing wild foods but also when
reading about wild foods. There is much misinformation  in circulation
(e.g. the 1977 Museum publication, Edible wild plants of Nova Scotia, by
MacLeod & MacDonald has many unfortunate lapses) so sorting fact from
fiction is difficult.

    All the more reason to not launch a new myth.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville