[NatureNS] Re: not GREN-ITCH?

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:20:07 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_30297_7281974.1195665607725

Hi,

I just spoke to Bernard and Sandra Forsythe, who have lived in E.King's Co.
for 65 years, and their families long before that - they tell me that they,
and other long-standing residents, have always called it Green-itch, and
"newcomers" generally eventually get round to that pronunciation too.

"Old-time" Wolfville residents tell me that the correct way to pronounce
that town is more like "Waffle".

I was going to mention Berwick (Berr-ick in Scotland and Burr-wick in the
Valley) but David has already done that.

Billtown is on the north side of the Valley, between Greenwich and Berwick!

Now - what's the correct pronunciation of Pileated? Why is Teuch (as in
Necum ...) pronounced Taw? ... etc. All fascinating stuff.

Richard (ex- British, now Valley, pronunciation).

--
#################
Dr.Richard Stern,

Richard Stern,