[NatureNS] correction for note on compass vs. maps in brains of migrant birds,

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 11:28:39 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I goofed below in the second paragraph, in which the second sentence should
read, "But the juveniles lacked a continental MAP (not compass, which they
had for taking a heading)....."

Cheers again from Jim in Wolfville
----------
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 18:16:10 -0400
Subject: [NatureNS] compass vs. maps in brains of migrant birds, adults vs.
juveniles   -- from Quirks & Quarks, Nov. 10/07: Big Bang ideas, messing up
migration,  soft-bodied fossils, killifish and chemicals

Many of you know that I am a big, big fan of Quirks and Quarks on Saturdays
at noon on CBC Radio One (****and also on Mondays at 11 p.m.****).  This
past Saturday's show contained an item on WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, which were
trapped in Washington state on their migration from Alaska to the U.S.
southwest or Mexico.  Thirty birds were trapped, half adults and half
juveniles (a few months old).  After being flown to New Jersey (Princeton
University, all were fitted with transmitters, released, and then followed
for a week or so by small plane and vehicles.

They found that the adults adjusted after a few days, seemingly having
figured out where they had to go to get back on track, and headed southwest.
But the juveniles lacked a continental compass and continued to travel in
the direction in which they were headed in Washington state, namely south or
southeast.

Go to the Q & Q Web-site (just Google "quirks", click on the radio home
page, then click on most recent program, then listen to the item in
question.  OR tune in tonight at 11 p.m. and do what I do, i.e. tape the
whole show, then listen to it gradually during the week.)

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville