[NatureNS] Crows: the shock and the grief (?)

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 11:58:19 -0400
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Bravo to Suzanne for her clear, sane message vs. the idea that Homo sapiens
alone is capable of anything classifiable under the names of emotion, grief,
loyalty, play, etc. If anthropomorphism is the inaccurate imposition of
human traits upon other species, anthropocentrism is the egotistical,
human-centered insistence that we're utterly unique in all these regards.
Such an attitude is one reason for the disregard and sense of dominion and
superiority our species has felt over everything else on the planet.
Descartes may have believed that other species are little more than
chemically-driven robots, but over a hundred years ago Darwin was
questionioning that bias. See his The Expression of Emotions in Man and
Animals, originally published in 1872. One of the more recent editions was
published in 1979 by Julian Friedmann Publishers, in London. It's
interesting how some people have embraced most of Darwin's theory of
evolution, but have tried to turn a blind eye to his theories about animal
emotion.
Brian