[NatureNS] Quick CB trip

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 20:28:09 -0300

As I had to accompany my wife to Baddeck for her teachers meetings, I found
myself with most of Friday 26th available to wander about the region.

NYANZA BAY AREA, BRAS D'OR
200+ Canada Geese - 30 Golden Eye  - 45 Black Ducks - 8 Green wing Teal

IONA BEACH AND PLASTER COVE
8 Common Mergansers - 12 Ring Necked Ducks - 46 Greater Scaup - 2 Common
Loons - 35 Golden Eyes

BADDECK BAY
2 GB Herons - 10 Scaup - 12 Black Ducks

I also drove completely round Lake Ainslie which I had thought was the world
capital of Bald Eagles. I saw absolutely nothing despite several detailed
stops, except for the usual hoard of Chickadees and Juncos. The lake seemed
devoid of bird life. I came back to the Inn wondering what had happened to
all the Bald Eagles and other significant birds in the area that you can
usually find easily.

On Saturday we set out to drive home and had barely got onto the highway
when we almost struck a mature Bald Eagle feeding on road kill. I don't
think I want to be that close to an eagle again! There were 5 other Bald
Eagles, all mature, before we got to the causeway - all feeding on road
kill. Now I know where they went! They all turned into oversized crows.

John Belbin - Hantsport