[NatureNS] Second Peninsula Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 02:47:22 +0000

--_f817d3d8-7dbd-4575-90a7-b3034425aef5_

Hi all:
=20
Clarence Stevens Sr. and I made another attempt at the yellow-headed blackb=
ird today.  We spent quite a bit of time, but were unable to find this bird=
.  I suspect that it moved on to greener pastures. =20
=20
Of special note was a pied-billed grebe.  We also had 10 hooded mergansers,=
 21 common mergansers, six brown-headed cowbirds, and four bobolinks.  A me=
rlin was patrolling and trying to find a meal.  A killdeer flew over our he=
ad.  Like numbers of red-winged blackbirds were present with 18. =20
=20
Of note was a vast decrease in the numbers of sparrows from yesterday.  The=
re was a reversal in species with more savannah sparrows then song sparrows=
, when there were few of the first yesterday.  There were roughly 30 savann=
ah sparrows and 23 song sparrows.  A number of savannah sparrows were very =
pale making Clarence and I scratch our heads and try to make something else=
 out of them, such as clay-colored.  They in all respects were as pale as i=
pswich sparrows, but were far too small for such.  Any comments as to which=
 region these pale savannahs might have originated from.  What is the possi=
bility of cross breeding between ipswich and savannah?  In regards to what =
I have read and from studies done by Ian McLaren and others I see no eviden=
ce that cross breeding occurs.
=20
Sincerely,
=20
James
Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! Start now!
http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=3DEMENCA122=

--_f817d3d8-7dbd-4575-90a7-b3034425aef5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Clarence Stevens Sr. and I made another attempt at the yellow-headed blackb=
ird today.&nbsp; We spent quite a bit of time, but were unable to find this=
 bird.&nbsp; I suspect that it moved on to greener pastures.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Of special note was a pied-billed grebe.&nbsp; We also had 10 hooded mergan=
sers, 21 common mergansers, six brown-headed cowbirds, and four bobolinks.&=
nbsp; A merlin was patrolling and trying to find a meal.&nbsp; A killdeer f=
lew over our head.&nbsp; Like numbers of red-winged blackbirds were present=
 with 18.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Of note was a vast decrease in the numbers of sparrows from yesterday.&nbsp=
; There was a reversal in species with more savannah sparrows then song spa=
rrows, when there were few of the first yesterday.&nbsp; There were roughly=
 30 savannah sparrows and 23 song sparrows.&nbsp; A number of savannah spar=
rows were very pale making Clarence and I scratch our heads and try to make=
 something else out of them, such as clay-colored.&nbsp; They in all respec=
ts were as pale as ipswich sparrows, but were far too small for such.&nbsp;=
 Any comments as to which region these pale savannahs might have originated=
 from.&nbsp; What is the possibility of cross breeding between ipswich and =
savannah?&nbsp; In regards to what I have read and from studies done by Ian=
 McLaren and others I see no evidence that cross breeding occurs.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Sincerely,<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James<BR><br /><hr />Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! <a hr=
ef=3D'http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=3DEMENCA122' target=3D'_ne=
w'>Start now!</a></body>

--_f817d3d8-7dbd-4575-90a7-b3034425aef5_--