[NatureNS] Bird Sightings For Lunenburg County

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:44:54 +0000

--_d5acd48f-97d6-4698-abcf-3b376743b3fb_

This evening Clarence Stevens Sr. took a drive to Cherry Hill.  At the pull=
 off for the cove just before the Cherry Hill Beach Road he had a large gro=
uping of sparrows with about 100 song sparrows, a white-crowned sparrow, a =
chipping sparrow and a field sparrow.
=20
I had a call from Glenn Rhodenizer of Second Peninsula last night and there=
 were a lot of great things out there.  The main purpose of the call was a =
yellow-headed blackbird.  I missed the large influx of sparrows which passe=
d through about a week ago with hundreds.  He had a vesper sparrow at that =
time.  Glenn also reports a tree swallow a few days ago and a barn swallow.=
  On my visit today I just missed the yellow-headed blackbird at the feeder=
.  I had an appointment in Lunenburg, so went back after and again missed i=
t twice.  It came to the feeder with the other blackbirds while I was out i=
n the field overlooking the weed patch where most of the sparrows and other=
 good birds are. =20
=20
Of special note on that visit today.  An osprey on the nest by Backman's Be=
ach.  It was perched on the nest eating a fish.  Maybe the one young bird t=
hat fledged from the nest in late August I would assume.  Also along the be=
ach was an American Kestrel.  At the end on the Rhodenizer farm was four bo=
bolinks, 18 red-winged blackbirds, four brown-headed cowbirds with three ma=
les and one female, a single barn swallow, nine savannah sparrows and rough=
ly 63 song sparrows.  It was really hard to try and count the sparrows as t=
he flew up from the weed patch.  There were also pipits on the field.  Clar=
ence and I will be going back again tomorrow to try for the yellow-headed b=
lackbird.  It actually sounds like there might be two present.  From the de=
scription it sounds like one female and one male.
=20
For a couple of days now in Bridgewater there has been a flock of about 40 =
common grackles.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore
Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun! Start now!
http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=3DEMENCA122=

--_d5acd48f-97d6-4698-abcf-3b376743b3fb_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
This evening Clarence Stevens Sr. took a drive to Cherry Hill.&nbsp; At the=
 pull off for the cove just before the Cherry Hill Beach Road he had a larg=
e grouping of sparrows with about 100 song sparrows, a white-crowned sparro=
w, a chipping sparrow and a field sparrow.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I had a call from Glenn Rhodenizer of Second Peninsula last night and there=
 were a lot of great things out there.&nbsp; The main purpose of the call w=
as a yellow-headed blackbird.&nbsp; I missed the large influx of sparrows w=
hich passed through about a week ago with hundreds.&nbsp; He had a vesper s=
parrow at that time.&nbsp; Glenn also reports a tree swallow a few days ago=
 and a barn swallow.&nbsp; On my visit today I just missed the yellow-heade=
d blackbird at the feeder.&nbsp; I had an appointment in Lunenburg, so went=
 back after and again missed it twice.&nbsp; It came to the feeder with the=
 other blackbirds while I was out in the field overlooking the weed patch w=
here most of the sparrows and other good birds are.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Of special note on that visit today.&nbsp; An osprey on the nest by Backman=
's Beach.&nbsp; It was perched on the nest eating a fish.&nbsp; Maybe the o=
ne young bird that fledged from the nest in late August I would assume.&nbs=
p; Also along the beach was an American Kestrel.&nbsp; At the end on the Rh=
odenizer farm was four bobolinks, 18 red-winged blackbirds, four brown-head=
ed cowbirds with three males and one female, a single barn swallow, nine sa=
vannah sparrows and roughly 63 song sparrows.&nbsp; It was really hard to t=
ry and count the sparrows as the flew up from the weed patch.&nbsp; There w=
ere also pipits on the field.&nbsp; Clarence and I will be going back again=
 tomorrow to try for the yellow-headed blackbird.&nbsp; It actually sounds =
like there might be two present.&nbsp; From the description it sounds like =
one female and one male.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
For a couple of days now in Bridgewater there has been a flock of about 40 =
common grackles.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore<BR><br /><hr />Send a smile, make someone laugh, have some fun=
! <a href=3D'http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=3DEMENCA122' target=
=3D'_new'>Start now!</a></body>

--_d5acd48f-97d6-4698-abcf-3b376743b3fb_--