FW: [NatureNS] species act

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:23:09 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Mark Elderkin <ELDERKMF@gov.ns.ca>,

There are six new listings for the provincial list of species at risk (now
41 species in total?).  The three new birds are red knot (Endangered),
chimney swift (Endangered), and common nighthawk (Threatened).  Also the
peregrine falcon has been upgraded/downgraded?) to the less-at-risk category
of Threatened, so it is still on the list, but barely so.  Two new plants,
both Endangered, are the ram's-head lady's-slipper and the rockrose.

Check out the Web-site of the N.S. Dept. of Nat. Resources for the updates
and the entire list, with descriptions and photos for each species.

Also check out the front page of the Province/Mail Star? sections of today's
Chronicle Herald.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville