[NatureNS] Welcome sounds

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Mike McCall <mikemccall@xcountry.tv>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:42:00 -0300

At mid-day a gaggle of 15 - 20 Yellow-rumped Warblers shuffled gently
through the trees around
our Hall's Harbour house, chattering gently to one another as they
moved through
the woods in a south-westerly direction. A few White-throated
Sparrows fluttered along
with them, in their shy, non-intrusive fashion.

Down at the harbour, 60 or 80 gulls, Herrings, Black-backed and
Ringbills gathered in
a very small circle in the middle of the harbour about half an hour
before low water,
screaming, screeching and jostling as they dove for apparently edible
creatures that
I couldn't identify - all I could see the gulls surfaced from their
dives and before the final
(for the delicacy) gulp, was a hunk of gray material. I hardly
thought it was a shell, but
I know little about these creatures ingest. "Anything" would probably
be the response of
more knowledgeable gull watchers.

Mike McCall