[NatureNS] Jay proof Feeders

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 17:18:52 EDT
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1191791932

Being essentially cheap, my feeders are 2 litre pop bottles with Lee Valley
screw on attachments for feeders. I have several hanging on a clothes line
that  goes out to the woods just out of the bears reach. The problem lately is
that  the blue jays will clean them all out in a couple of hours, consuming up
to half  a kilo of oil seed, leaving the nuthatches, finches chickadees and the
rest with  nothing.. A couple of days ago I made a cylinder of old chicken
wire about 10  inches in diameter and hung it over a bottle reaching down below
the feeder  section. I was concerned about the small birds getting the hang of
getting in  but need not of worried. The device, which cost nothing, has been
a huge  success. There are three or four small birds in there at any one time
but  the Jays can't get in.  The purple finches are still feeder hogs but  at
least the seed lasts a couple of days.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

-------------------------------1191791932

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16527" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D3>
<DIV>Being essentially cheap, my feeders are 2 litre pop bottles with Lee Va=
lley=20
screw on attachments for feeders. I have several hanging on a clothes line t=
hat=20
goes out to the woods just out of the bears reach. The problem lately is tha=
t=20
the blue jays will clean them all out in a couple of hours, consuming up to=20=
half=20
a kilo of oil seed, leaving the nuthatches, finches chickadees and the rest=20=
with=20
nothing.. A couple of days ago I made a cylinder of old chicken wire about 1=
0=20
inches in diameter and hung it over a bottle reaching down below the feeder=20
section. I was concerned about the small birds getting the hang of getting i=
n=20
but need not of worried. The device, which cost nothing, has been a huge=20
success. There are three or four small birds in&nbsp;there at any one time b=
ut=20
the Jays can't get in.&nbsp;&nbsp;The purple finches are still feeder hogs b=
ut=20
at least the seed lasts a couple of days.</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT>   </BODY></HTML>