[NatureNS] Apple Blossom

Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 19:22:55 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi John & All, Oct 4, 2007
I have seen apple trees blossom in the fall only once. These were on
soil so miserable that soil was an exaggeration. Following a dry period
in August, as I recall, all leaves fell in early Sept and the soil
moisture in the surface 100 cm was considerably below the permanent
wilting point (15 bar). Following rains (not sure when but likely in
Sept) a new crop of leaves came out and flower buds opened for a second
bloom. I don't recall now what happened the following spring but all
trees survived.

I am wondering if your tree was coming out of a period of stress. Did it
look unusual in any way ?

Yt, Dave Webser, Kentville