[NatureNS] Do honeybees and bumblebees mix?

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 20:27:38 -0300

--Apple-Mail-5--318022791
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Hello everyone:

After three different weekends mowing our side laws (and five bee
stings later) I discovered an underground bee nest, that appears to be
composed of honey bees. (They are definitely not hornets, as some years
ago there was an yellow jacket nest in the same area, but that is
another story...)

The nest is in a hole about the size of a $2 coin, and in a bank that
has been recently "oraged" by a skunk... I spend yesterday watching the
bees come and go, and then I noticed a bumblebee that was trying ot
crawl into one of the skunk holes. It then flew around as if looking
for something and then landed and went into the same hole that the
honey bees were using. There was no apparent change in the behaviour of
the thoney bees as they continue to arrive and leave the hole. A few
minutes later another bumblebee went into the hole.

I was watching again today and saw the same behaviour. I have yet to
see a bumblebee come back out., but I assume that they must.

Has any one seen this type of behaviour before?

Pat

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-5--318022791

[...]