[NatureNS] Birds New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:57:58 +0000

--_49bd9aa0-9dfa-4839-a297-1a95d2f01104_

Hi all:
=20
I'm on dial-up and a laptop without a mouse, so forgive any errs as I'm not=
 used to this.  I picked up a number of new birds for my New Brunswick list=
 when passing through.  The best of which were wood duck, bald eagle and os=
prey, pied-billed grebe and red crossbill.
=20
Passing through Quebec all birds were new for that list, as the last time I=
 drove I did not create or start a list for that province.  We stayed at Ri=
viere Du Loop on the way through and close to the main drag.  This is a gre=
at spot with many bird species and I wish that I had more time to explore. =
 A flat tire with a nail took away from time, but I still managed to see a =
large group of cedar waxwings, a clay-colored sparrow at a feeder by the pl=
ace we stayed and a peregrine falcon along with numerous other species.  I =
was pleased.  Through Quebec we saw one turkey vulture at Wickam and anothe=
r near the border to Ontario.
=20
In Ontario about 9km inside the border along the 417 close to Hawksbury the=
re were five turkey vultures.  At Carp there were 10.  Going though Ottawa =
there were hawks in the air, but during rush hour on a Friday evening it wa=
s no time to get an id.  Also movements of other hawks were at various loca=
tions, but again traffic being heavy, I could not determine species. =20
=20
For those that are keeping track of such along St. Albert on the 417, there=
 was some type of reeds along the medium and hundreds of black-birds, likel=
y red-winged were socking down into there.  I counted 200, but who knows ho=
w many more went in before or after.  There was also a flock of about 80 re=
d-winged blackbirds as we were leaving the outskirts of Ottawa along the 41=
7.
=20
25 km before Renfew there was a pull off where we stopped.  It was right by=
 the 25 km sign and there is a farm with a field.  For those who are keepin=
g track of shorebirds there were 26 killdeer there.
=20
Upon reaching Baptiste Lake, my best birds so far are a sharp-shinned hawk =
and a yellow-bellied sapsucker.  I had a mystery warbler.  One I have not s=
een before.  It was an olive warbler, with a white eye ring and a dark eyeb=
row line above the eye.  It was about the size of a palm warbler and came o=
ut relatively low in the foilage.  It gave me a brief look only and I canno=
t find anything in my Sibley's guide to match what I saw.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore, NS
Visiting Ontario
Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger=A0
http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=3Den-us&sourc=
e=3Dwlmailtagline=

--_49bd9aa0-9dfa-4839-a297-1a95d2f01104_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I'm on dial-up and a laptop without a mouse, so forgive any errs as I'm not=
 used to this.&nbsp; I picked up a number of new birds for my New Brunswick=
 list when passing through.&nbsp; The best of which were wood duck, bald ea=
gle and osprey, pied-billed grebe and red crossbill.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Passing through Quebec all birds were new for that list, as the last time I=
 drove I did not create or start a list for that province.&nbsp; We stayed =
at Riviere Du Loop on the way through and close to the main drag.&nbsp; Thi=
s is a great spot with many bird species and I wish that I had more time to=
 explore.&nbsp; A flat tire with a nail took away from time, but I still ma=
naged to see a large group of cedar waxwings, a clay-colored sparrow at a f=
eeder by the place we stayed and a peregrine falcon along with numerous oth=
er species.&nbsp; I was pleased.&nbsp; Through Quebec we saw one turkey vul=
ture at Wickam and another near the border to Ontario.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
In Ontario about 9km inside the border along the 417 close to Hawksbury the=
re were five turkey vultures.&nbsp; At Carp there were 10.&nbsp; Going thou=
gh Ottawa there were hawks in the air, but during rush hour on a Friday eve=
ning it was no time to get an id.&nbsp; Also movements of other hawks were =
at various locations, but again traffic being heavy, I could not determine =
species.&nbsp; <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
For those that are keeping track of such along St. Albert on the 417, there=
 was some type of reeds along the medium and hundreds of black-birds, likel=
y red-winged were socking down into there.&nbsp; I counted 200, but who kno=
ws how many more went in before or after.&nbsp; There was also a flock of a=
bout 80 red-winged blackbirds as we were leaving the outskirts of Ottawa al=
ong the 417.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
25 km before Renfew there was a pull off where we stopped.&nbsp; It was rig=
ht by the 25 km sign and there is a farm with a field.&nbsp; For those who =
are keeping track of shorebirds there were 26 killdeer there.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Upon reaching Baptiste Lake, my best birds so far are a sharp-shinned hawk =
and a yellow-bellied sapsucker.&nbsp; I had a mystery warbler.&nbsp; One I =
have not seen before.&nbsp; It was an olive warbler, with a white eye ring =
and a dark eyebrow line above the eye.&nbsp; It was about the size of a pal=
m warbler and came out relatively low in the foilage.&nbsp; It gave me a br=
ief look only and I cannot find anything in my Sibley's guide to match what=
 I saw.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Dublin Shore, NS<BR>
Visiting Ontario<BR><br /><hr />Connect to the next generation of MSN Messe=
nger=A0  <a href=3D'http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?=
locale=3Den-us&source=3Dwlmailtagline' target=3D'_new'>Get it now! </a></bo=
dy>

--_49bd9aa0-9dfa-4839-a297-1a95d2f01104_--