[NatureNS] Hummers and Others

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Mike McCall <mikemccall@xcountry.tv>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:41:20 -0300

Many hummers here at Hall's Harbour – all female, although I was
surprised to see a
male about 3 weeks ago. Pine Siskins have returned after an absence
of some months
and mouth to mouth communication (reassurance?feeding?) between adult
Goldfinches and
obviously recently fledged young – with fluttery tails and outer
wings – attests to the late
breeding habits of this always charming feeder visitor. Last evening
three very young
Yellow-rumped Warblers fluttered about our deck pond, intrigued by a
dripping hose
and a splashy fountain, but none of them essayed a trial perch on any
of the several
rocks placed just so for their bathing comfort.

Flickers have had a good year; we can hardly go into the garden
without flushing one or
two. Haven't seen a Robin for ages.

Mike McCall