[NatureNS] Uncommon/ Rare birds in Prospect Peninsula

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:00:14 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00C9_01C7EB1E.DA5F8DB0

There has been a spate of rarities in the village of Prospect, HRM, in =
recent days. =20

An immature Yellow-crowned Night-Heron was present Aug. 20-21, and =
photographed and videotaped (sighting by Sue Browne and Peter Browne, =
video and photos by Mark Coolen). =20

A Purple Martin was seen alongisde a lone Barn Swallow on Aug. 25, the =
day following a heavy rain.  Thick fog brought them low over the =
village.  The observer was Peter Browne.

A Lark Sparrow has been present Aug. 29-30 near the junction with Indian =
Point Road. =20

30 August 2007  -  Today, between 12:05 and 12:10, Peter Browne and I =
observed an adult Violet-green Swallow coursing low back and forth over =
Wagner's Beach on the Prospect Peninsula.  (For a map go to:  =
http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS/Change/HRM-C.htm#update )

It was foggy at the time, which kept the swallow quite low, often just =
above eye-level.  It called on several occasions as well.  It was last =
seen flying south along the eastern shore of the peninsula, in the =
direction of Indian Point.   As the fog cleared I looked a bit around =
Prospect Village, but no swallows were in evidence (all the locally =
breeding swallows have departed). =20

I doubt that the bird will linger in the area, but Peter will keep an =
eye peeled.

-------

Blake Maybank=20

White's Lake, Nova Scotia

maybank@ns.sympatico.ca

------=_NextPart_000_00C9_01C7EB1E.DA5F8DB0

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" =
"http://www.w3c.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16525" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<P>There has been a spate of rarities in the village of Prospect, HRM, =
in recent=20
days.&nbsp; </P>
<P>An immature <STRONG>Yellow-crowned Night-Heron</STRONG> was present =
Aug.=20
20-21, and photographed and videotaped (sighting by Sue Browne and Peter =
Browne,=20
video and photos by Mark Coolen).&nbsp; </P>
<P>A <STRONG>Purple Martin</STRONG> was seen alongisde a lone Barn =
Swallow on=20
Aug. 25, the day following a heavy rain.&nbsp; Thick fog brought them =
low over=20
the village.&nbsp; The observer was Peter Browne.</P>
<P>A <STRONG>Lark Sparrow</STRONG> has been present Aug. 29-30 near the =
junction=20
with Indian Point Road.&nbsp; </P>
<P>30 August 2007&nbsp; -&nbsp; Today, between 12:05 and 12:10, Peter =
Browne and=20
I observed an adult <STRONG>Violet-green Swallow</STRONG> coursing low =
back and=20
forth over Wagner's Beach on the Prospect Peninsula.&nbsp; (For a map go =

to:&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS/Change/HRM-C.htm#update">http://ma=
ybank.<WBR>tripod.com/<WBR>BSNS/Change/<WBR>HRM-C.htm#<WBR>update</A>&nbs=
p;)</P>
<P>It was foggy at the time, which kept the swallow quite low, often =
just above=20
eye-level.&nbsp; It called on several occasions as well.&nbsp; It was =
last seen=20
flying south along the eastern shore of the peninsula, in the direction =
of=20
Indian Point.&nbsp;&nbsp; As the fog cleared I looked a bit around =
Prospect=20
Village, but no swallows were in evidence (all the locally breeding =
swallows=20
have departed).&nbsp; </P>
<P>I doubt that the bird will linger in the area, but Peter will keep an =
eye=20
peeled.</P>
<P>
<HR>

<P>Blake Maybank </P>
<P></P>
<P>White's Lake, Nova Scotia</P>
<P>maybank@ns.sympatic<WBR>o.ca</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00C9_01C7EB1E.DA5F8DB0--