[NatureNS] flying culprits on the NW Arm

Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 08:01:19 -0300
From: "Suzanne Townsend" <suzanne.townsend@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_109805_20218456.1188298879273

Yesterday, we had a full front yard and back yard filled with flying ants.
We watched them come out of their nest. It was actually quite beautiful. I
wonder if the warblers time their leaving with this event, so they have
great mid-air snacks along the way.

On 8/28/07, Gayle MacLean <duartess2003@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Here in Dartmouth, in the Lake Banook, Glenwwod Ave, Penhorn Dr. area,
> they were out in full force this past Sat/Sun. Literally in swarms! My
> understanding, could very well be wrong, is that these are the new ant
> Queens? I'm sure our experts will give us the correct info about this
> phenomenon.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Gayle MacLean
>
> *Jean Timpa <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>* wrote:
>
> I can't quite tell from the "culprits" photo what they are, but the
> pictures of the swarms certainly remind me of flying ants which I have
> seen
> in large numbers in Bear River, Annapolis Co. about this time of year much
>
> to the delight of the migrating Common Nighthawks, although it is usually
> about mid August when the peak of these birds pass through the valley. A
> large hatching of flying ants can be very dramatic. JET

> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the
> boot with the *All-new Yahoo! Mail *<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40705/*http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca>

------=_Part_109805_20218456.1188298879273

<hr size="1">
Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40705/*http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca" target="_blank">

------=_Part_109805_20218456.1188298879273--