[NatureNS] Yellowhammer

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:42:00 -0300
From: "Bruce Stevens" <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing:
------=_Part_196025_26421956.1188171720929

Andy,

Yes, Yellowhammer refers to the golden-shafted race of the Northern Flicker
(ie, those found in the eastern half of the continent). In fact,
Yellowhammer is the state bird of Alabama, hence once of its nicknames, "The
Yellowhammer State". As for the Emberizid Yellowhammer, I've never heard of
one occurring here, or in North America for that matter.

I think Yellowhammer is a much "cooler" name than golden-shafted Northern
Flicker, but I don't suppose the AOU will change it...

Hope this helps.

Bruce Stevens
Antigonish

On 8/26/07, Andy Moir/Chris Callaghan <andyandchris@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>  I came across a reference today in a piece I was editing about hunting
> "Yellowhammers" on Brier Island 100 years ago.  (The piece said most of the
> hunters bagged 15 to 20 of them, and they were looking forward to a good
> feast).
> I assume they were referring to Northern Flickers.  But looking it up on
> the internet, I also found reference to another bird called a Yellowhammer,
> Emberiza citrinella.  It's a much smaller bird, and I associated it with
> Great Britain and Europe.  But does anyone know if the Emberiza citrinella
> was ever (or is still) in Nova Scotia?  I can't imagine hunting it as a game
> bird, but then I wouldn't have thought Northern Flickers would be a taste
> treat either.
> I'd like to get some clarification before I finish editing the article, if
> anyone can help.
> Thanks
> Andy Moir
> Freeport

------=_Part_196025_26421956.1188171720929

Andy,<br><br>Yes, Yellowhammer refers to the golden-shafted race of the Northern Flicker (ie, those found in the eastern half of the continent). In fact, Yellowhammer is the state bird of Alabama, hence once of its nicknames, &quot;The Yellowhammer State&quot;. As for the Emberizid Yellowhammer, I&#39;ve never heard of one occurring here, or in North America for that matter.

editing about hunting &quot;Yellowhammers&quot; on Brier Island 100 years ago.&nbsp; (The
piece said most of the hunters bagged 15 to 20 of them, and they were looking
forward to a good feast).&nbsp; </font></div>
Flickers.&nbsp; But looking it up on the internet, I also found reference to
another bird called a Yellowhammer, Emberiza citrinella.&nbsp; It&#39;s a much
smaller bird, and I associated it with Great Britain and Europe.&nbsp; But does
anyone know if the Emberiza citrinella was ever (or is still) in Nova
Scotia?&nbsp; I can&#39;t imagine hunting it as a game bird, but then I wouldn&#39;t
have thought Northern Flickers would be a taste treat either.</font></div>
editing the article, if anyone can help.</font></div>

------=_Part_196025_26421956.1188171720929--