[NatureNS] RE: bats and deck table umbrellas

From: "Hugh Broders" <hugh.broders@smu.ca>
To: "'Jim Wolford'" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>,
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:27:18 -0300

Jim,
Roost sites selected by bats will vary, unsurprisingly, by the many factors
but probably most importantly by environmental conditions and reproductive
status.  During the summer months bats often use torpor to facilitate
conservation of energy and this is best achieved by finding a cooler
environment.  However, it has long been believed that use of torpor by
pregnant females might slow fetal development and therefore pregnant females
select warmer roosts (e.g., exposed to the sun) that decrease the metabolic
costs of maintaining homeothermic body temperature.  However, recent
evidence casts doubts on this and suggests that even pregnant females use
torpor more often than expected, with apparently little impact on date of
parturition (giving birth).  Another point that might be worth making is
that females of the species that we have here in NS are highly social in the
summer months, and therefore individuals may also be selecting places to
roost based on where their mother/sister/daughter/etc are roosting.  Adult
males on the other hand are, primarily, solitary roosters and are more
likely to be the ones found roosting in the umbrellas, etc. (unless it's a
juvenile later in the season - like now).

So, it is hard to predict what types of roosts bats will use and where
exactly to put the bat boxes and umbrellas to attract bats.  However, I
would not be discouraged if the bats you see flying around your houses are
not using the bat boxes you put up.  It means that there are other places in
your neighbourhood that are better roosts.  From what I can gather bats are
more likely to use these artificial structures in areas where suitable
naturally occurring roosts are limiting.  Regardless of their success in
attracting bats these bat boxes make excellent conversation pieces!

Hughie

Hugh Broders
Department of Biology
Saint Mary's University